Google announced that it will be “honoring the legacy of Black-owned businesses in the U.S.” by “making it easier to find and support Black businesses.”
Their Outreach Initiatives blog published the first day of Black History Month goes on to note that historically, Black-owned businesses “have served as gathering spots for Black communities throughout the country… as more Black businesses come online, they’re creating new pathways for economic opportunity and generational wealth in the Black community.”
The search numbers indicate an overwhelming desire to support Black-owned businesses. Google reports seeing a 600% increase in search queries that include “black owned” from 2019 to 2020. In order to make it easier to find Black-owned businesses, Google has introduced new Attributes in their Merchant center and Google My Business.
The “Identifies as Black-owned” labels are now available to Google Merchants for the first time, however it won’t be visible to shoppers for a few more months. The move is an update to the Black-owned business attribute launched in Google Search and Maps in the summer of 2019.
HOW TO GET ‘IDENTIFIES AS BLACK-OWNED’ LABEL ON GOOGLE MERCHANT CENTER
- Sign in to your Merchant Center account.
- Click the Tools and settings menu in the top right corner of Merchant Center
- Click the Business information page
- On the About your business tab, scroll down to the Business identity attributes
- Click Identifies as Black-owned to toggle it on or off
Check the box next to “include my business in promotions for Black-owned businesses” if you want your business to have the opportunity to appear on pages featuring Black-owned businesses.
HOW TO GET ‘IDENTIFIES AS BLACK-OWNED’ LABEL ON GOOGLE MY BUSINESS
- Sign in to your Google My Business account
- Navigate to the Info in the left-side navigation
- Scroll down to the From the business section and click the edit pencil icon.
- The Identifies as Black-owned Attribute will be the first thing you see, click to toggle it on.
- Be sure to click Apply to save the settings.
Continue on through and add in any and all attributes that apply to your business. The more information you provide to Google, the more information they have to give users about you!
For more SEO insights check our Meghan’s Company Search Appeal
We develop creatively unique WordPress websites that are technically optimized for favorable search engine performance. Through a guided process of Audit, Optimize, Design we help your business stand out online with customers and search engines.